Monday, September 16, 2002

Sunday, September 15, 2002

return to where no one has gone before ... again and again

We finished watching Gandhi today afternoon. I spent the evening emulating a couch potato as I ingested one Star Trek:TNG rerun after another. Quite a good bunch of episodes, including one dealing with my favourite topic: time. We've also started watching another AFI Top 100 movie, All Quiet on the Western Front (#54). It's long, but interesting, especially in the use of visuals. It seems more like a silent film with dialogue added.

Saturday, September 14, 2002

Italian horror ... in style

A slice of a legend ... again
We started watching Gandhi. The DVD does wonders to the epic. Every time I saw it was in the horrible dubbed version (thanks to the Indian film board). The film has all the trappings of a great epic. I seem to have reached a point where I recognise the devices employed by a film to evoke reactions to its epic elements, but am unaffected by them. This may be detrimental to a complete moviewatching experience, but I don't let it affect my judgement. It's a great film that only fails in the superficial approach it must adopt in telling the tale of man whose life was full of filmable experiences.

Friday, September 13, 2002

Smoke on the weirdo/Charred finger

With a friend from out of town visiting and it being my turn in the kitchen, I dished up a mongrel of chicken biryani and khichdi as well as some daal from blackeyed peas. We watched the rest of MST3K/Manos. Outrageously funny. And highly recommended. My heart bleeds for the people who made Manos.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.