Tuesday, March 11, 2003

Really Ridiculous

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but Real has made it really hard to get to a usable free lightweight version of their proprietary player for a proprietary online streaming audio format that (hopefully) is losing out to more widely supported formats. Their main page is a mess and the only thing you can download is RealOne. This is a 14-day trial version and they won't let you download unless you give them your credit card number (so they can bill you from day 15). Schmucks! Since I need the player for some of the online music I listen to, I started searching the web. Google was a great help and I found a solution in less than a minute. Predictably, there's a site called OldVersion.com, which has the apt byline "because newer is not always better". RealPlayer also figures in the list of top downloads. Looks like I'm not alone. So anyone in a similar predicament, you now know where to go.

Addendum/Corrigendum: [Chris] In typically intuitive fashion, there's a little link on the top right that takes you to a spot where you can actually download the free version of RealOne. I stand corrected. But I'd still recommend OldVersion.com.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.