Tuesday, April 10, 2007

is shakalaka boom 2 the dhoom 2 of 2007?

do we finally have a truly watchable howlacious bag of ground-breaking jaw-dropping proportions? Baradwaj Rangan's delightfully readable eminently creative skewering of Shakalaka Boom Boom (aka SBB aka SB2 aka sabase ba.Dii bhuul?) seems to indicate that we do.

What some of us may have forgotten is that the dialogues represent another gun-for-hire assignment in Anurag Kashyap's kitty (see also: Jung, Paisa Vasool, Main Aisa Hi Hoon). AK's already flogging himself in a PFC post, so you know where you can take your lapidation or condolences.

In an interview about the film that brazenly deep fries the Amadeus DVD spiced with Mithun's classic Disco Dancer, Suneel Darshan had the usual upbeat lies to offer:



SBB is a very special film. I've worked very hard on it, for the whole of last year. I've tried moving away from my usual kind of cinema and tried something different. I have not copied anyone ... Not remade a past hit. Rather I have experimented with a new genre that, I hope, will help me carve a niche as a filmmaker. I'm pretty confident about this film that has given me all that a filmmaker craves for. I had a great team and very good artistes who gave me no cause for complaints.

This is the man behind such cerebral masterpieces as Dosti: Friends Forever, Talaash: The Hunt Begins, Mere Jeevan Saathi, the token Big B film Ek Rishtaa: The Bond Of Love and Andaaz (which featured a cook named G I Joe -- that's Girdhar Ishwar Jaunpurwala).

Suneel Darshan had planned to launch his son Shiv this year, but it looks like we'll have to wait till 2008 for our first look at the successor of Munish/Armaan/Munish Kohli (twice renamed, never improved).

elsewhere hereabouts: The Kohli classic Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani relished in not one or two but three posts.

elsewhere in the immediate sense of the term: JR's thoughts come tumbling out of the apian closet | manish vij waxes eloquent about the film (and -- yay! -- also sees the Disco Dancer angle)

elsewhere in the past: For more laughs, check out what BR did to Aksar.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.