Thursday, June 10, 2010

recommended additions to every software developer's lexicon

There's a thread over on Stack Overflow dedicated to jargon from the world of programming. Some of these are old nuggets familiar to fans of Dilbert and The Jargon File; others are eye-opening revelatory catalysts for belly-aching laughter. My favourites so far are the taxonomy of bug reports, the amazing moniker (why didn't I ever think of this before?) for the Sun standard for braces and a delicious alternative to spaghetti code. If you've been a student of computer networks, hot potato and hot potatoes seem so appropriate as slang for HTTP and HTTPS. Excuse me while I fetch my guts.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.