Monday, October 07, 2002

Return to the South ... and some neo-realism

Sunday, October 06, 2002

My final day in Boston is marked only by a scenic drive back to the airport. I have now seen the Charles River from either end. What is also interesting is that on the way to the airport, just before the tunnel, the old Boston settlements fall to your left, while the new modern constructions fall to your right. The tunnel ride is quite interesting, but I'm sure for people who drive to and from the airport will find that the thrill has gone a long time ago.

It's funny how return journeys seem longer. My cold meant that my ears took a beating as the air pressure changed during landing: pinching my nose and directing a blow out fixed that problem with a pair of welcome 'pops'. And I also suffered momentarily from what they refer to in Pune as ardhee-sheeshi, a condition where a headache is localised only to one half of your head. Luckily, by the time I got off the plane, I was much better, but still tired enough to drop off periodically on the train home.

The coda for the evening after dinner was de Sica's classic neo-realist The Bicycle Thief. It's a moving film, and the influence on the great Indian film directors like Satyajit Ray, Bimal Roy and Guru Dutt is quite evident.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.