Monday, April 04, 2005

The downside of coming off junk was I knew I would need to mix with my friends again in a state of full consciousness. It was awful. They reminded me so much of myself, I could hardly bear to look at them. [april 02/03, 2005]

Wow! Compelling, oddball, eccentric, frenetic, manic. All these and more. That's how I'd describe Danny Boyle's adaptation of Irving Welsh's novel Trainspotting. This film feels like Fincher's adaptation of Pahlaniuk's novel in the amount of visualization employed (checked out the obvious trip sequence, the not-so-obvious framing and tracking that elevates seemingly simple sequences). And then there's the soundtrack too. Peter Mullan ("Mother Superior") was also in Session 9. Also noted: the explicit references to Sean Connery, a poster of Robert De Niro from Taxi Driver, and the inundating crash course in slang.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.