Friday, February 28, 2003

a fistful of change, a bagful of books and an armful of music

A couple of trips to the public libraries {AFPL, Dekalb} in the sad bleak evening and I came away feeling loaded, lugging a bag splitting at the seams with books and music. I now have Midnight Movies (a delightful book by J Hoberman and Jonathan Rosenbaum on cult movies and underground classics), and my first Borges loan, Labyrinths: selected stories and other writings. I also got Joseph Heller's Closing Time (the sequel to Catch 22) for three quarters (which makes the public library the best place to hunt for cheap books).

And what do I listen to while I'm reading all this? Maybe Heart's Greatest Hits, or Ultimate Dizzy Gillespie, Rush's Vapor Trails, Are You Experienced (the most awesome debut album I've heard since Led Zeppelin), The best of New Riders of the Purple Sage, B B King Live in Japan, Requiem from the Branford Marsalis Quartet or The Sergio Mendes four sider.

If that wasn't enough, I got The Roots of Deep Purple: The Complete Episode Six and Paco de Lucia/John McLaughlin/Al Di Meola, a collaboration featuring three great acoustic guitarists from a branch of Wherehouse Music in Decatur that's closing down (that's another sign of a failing economy: a random store that looks fine decides to close down). I have to admit this about US businesses: they collapse gracefully.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.