Tuesday, July 09, 2002

Jazzy Pancham all the way

As part of my independent study I work at Enkia, one of the burgeoning companies under the umbrella of the ATDC at Georgia Tech. Turns out jazz is a common favourite so we had Stan Getz/Bossa Nova and Dave Brubeck/On Time (a generous loan from Chris on Sunday, this album features the classics Take Five (5/4) and Blue Rondo à la Turk (9/8), as also Unsquare Dance (7/4) and 40 Days (10/8) running off my machine's CD player (turns out my machine also has a sub-woofer connected). I also whipped out the gift CD to let them listen to the rarities Maar dalega dard-e-jigar (Pati Patni, 1966) (the first Hindi film song to betray the use of the bossa nova) and Tum bhi meri jaan (Salaam Memsaab, 1979) (with its generous ode to jazz and old pop).

Later in the evening, Rick Burgess (my guitar instructor for the guitar options classes I have been taking at Tech for the last few semesters) was kind enough to humour me with a music exchange session. He brought along Joe Cocker's début album With a Little Help from My Friends. He used the first track off it, Feelin' Alright to illustrate the use of the jawbone of an ass (you can hear it just once in the first few seconds of the song). We then listened to the same two R. D. Burman tracks above. He noted carribean influences in the first song more than the bossa nova, which occurs as a mere trace. To strengthen my understanding he played me bits from the CD accompanying a book called Brazilian Music Workshop by Antonio Adolfo. We also listened to Cuba Caribe from Hemisphere records, a compilation of representative Cuban music.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.