Wednesday, April 09, 2003

more and more books

This bleak weather has manifested itself as another attack of the cold for me. If it weren't for the fact that I look forward to getting to work everyday, I'd be hitting the base of the mood barrel riding out on MARTA every morning in darkness, looking out at a grey sky with ominous clouds showering spray on all concerned. Atlanta's weather swings have always impressed me (unless I'm busy sneezing and sounding like a bunch of heavies straight out of 1920s Chicago). Thankfully, I have some respite in books. I hit yet another Kudzu Books branch (this one being on Roswell Road) and grabbed a couple of fat (aren't they all?) Oracle 9i books along with The Cluetrain Manifesto (a book I had long read about but never seen) and Future Noir and (hallelujah!) Sergio Leone: Something to do with Death: I had found this excellent biography of both Leone and Italian popular cinema at the public library (where else?) a couple of months ago, and had added it to my wishlist.

Library picks include The Mythical Man Month (a 20th anniversary reprint of Fred Brooks software engineering classic is still a tough read for me: the observations are useful and valid, but it's still a little to abstract for me to imbibe), The Siege of Trencher's Farm by Gordon Williams (the source novel for Peckinpah's Straw Dogs, which Criterion recently celebrated with a special 2 DVD release; and finally Philip J Kaplan's abrasive, hilarious, irreverant, concise, definitive(?) look at the dot com-turned-bomb star walkway, F'd Companies (a companion to his website)

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.