Monday, June 16, 2003

hopscotch: nostalgia

There's hopscotch, the game and there's the movie starring Walter Matthau, based on Brian Garfield's novel. Doordarshan featured the film in its infamous late-night slot once, and I watched it only because I had bought a second-hand copy of the book somewhere in Appa Balwant Chowk (I think it was because I liked the cover design, considering I was quite young and by-and-large totally clueless about spy games and the like). An ad somewhere reminded me of tipri, which was a local version of this game, which apparently, by common perception, was a girls' game. Now, having played the game pretty frequently as a kid (with a group of girls AND boys), I had to make sure I wasn't suffering from issues in childhood. Thankfully, I wasn't.

Talking of Brian Garfield, turns out he also wrote the source novel for Death Wish (which boasts a score by jazz renegade Herbie Hancock) and the story for Joseph Rubin's creepy The Stepfather

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.