Tuesday, November 25, 2003

hey joe

After sampling the first CD of Sixty Six to Timbuktu, I clearly wanted to sample the second as well. The only recourse I had came from sound bytes online. These included a fragment of Plant's searing cover of Hey Joe. The most famous version arguably comes from Jimi Hendrix. I also know Deep Purple covered it (don't have the cut though). So I set out doing a little Internet searching to dig up the roots of the song. The AMG page included a little blurb: a wailing version of Billy Roberts' "Hey Joe" (recorded in 1967 and rivaling the emotional wallop of Jimi Hendrix's version recorded that same year).. Searching for Billy Roberts on AMG didn't come to much. The Covers Project had more information about other people covering the song. Seems like The Leaves were there first, although they had neither writing nor composing credit. So it was back to Google. And lo and behold, I wasn't alone. There's actually a website dedicated to the song, which hosts a growing list of covers. There goes my search. Now all I have to do is track down these different versions and make my own mix CD. At least there's still something I can do.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.